You probably can’t imagine your life without the extra convenience and boost in power that nifty gadgets provide. With crystal-clear visuals and the option to stay connected on the go, cellular tablets have become essential parts of our digital lives.
Here we’ll take a look into the world of best cellular tablets and discuss some of the best options available on the market at present. Right from having our own unique needs and preferences about technology, can anyone deny it? That’s why I’ve taken the time to test and review a wide range of cellular tablets to find the cream of the crop.
I wanted to make sure that the tablets I recommend aren’t just technologically impressive, but also cater to different tastes and budgets. So whether you’re more about being tech-savvy or just venturing out in tablets for the first time, I’m here to assist you through the entire journey.
#1. Best iPad with 5G – Apple iPad Pro 11-inch (View at Amazon)
The Apple iPad Pro 11-inch is a tablet that supports 5G connectivity. It is one of the iPad models that can utilize 5G networks when paired with a carrier that supports 5G and an active 5G cellular plan. Users can connect to the fastest wireless networks for tasks such as downloading files, streaming movies, collaborating with colleagues, and uploading content on the go
#2. Cheap Tablet With Sim Card Slot – Samsung Galaxy Tab A (View at Amazon)
The Galaxy Tab A allows you to insert a SIM card, which enables you to make calls, send text messages, and access mobile data. It is an affordable option for those looking for a tablet with cellular capabilities. With a SIM card slot, you can use the tablet with a cellular network provider and enjoy the convenience of staying connected without relying solely on Wi-Fi.
#3. Best Samsung Tab With Cell Phone Capabilities – Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+ (View at Amazon)
With its cell phone capabilities, you can use the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+ as a standalone device for communication and internet access, similar to a smartphone. This makes it a versatile option for users who want the functionality of a tablet combined with the convenience of cell phone capabilities.
#4. Best 10-inch with 4G LTE Cellular – Apple iPad 9th Generation (View at Amazon)
It supports LTE connectivity, allowing you to access mobile data and make calls when paired with a compatible cellular network provider and an active cellular plan. As long as you have LTE capabilities, you can stay connected to the internet and communicate even when Wi-Fi is not available
#5. Best Android tablet with LTE – Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (View at Amazon)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 is an Android with LTE feature offering a combination of productivity, entertainment, and convenience for users.
#6. Best Mid-Range iPad with 5G – Apple iPad Air 5th Generation (View at Amazon)
The iPad Air (5th Generation) supports 5G cellular connectivity, allowing for faster download and upload speeds. However, it is important to note that it supports the Sub6 standard of 5G and not the mmWave standard. It has a nano-SIM card tray on the right side, allowing you to use a physical SIM card for cellular connectivity,
#7. Cheap 4G LTE Tab with Long Battery – CHUWI Upgraded Android 12 Tablet (View at Amazon)
This tablet does offer data plans but it is important to note that the specific details and availability of data plans for the “CHUWI Upgraded Android 12 Tablet” would depend on the region and the network providers available in your area. It is recommended to check with local network providers or refer to the product documentation for more information on data plan options and compatibility.
7 Best Cellular Tablets – Reviews and Comparison 2023
We present our top 7 picks for cellular tablets that combine cutting-edge technology, reliable connectivity, and impressive performance.
1. Apple iPad Pro 11-inches – Editor’s Choice
- Cellular Connectivity: 5G
- Battery life: 9 Hours
- Display Resolution: 2388 x 1668 Pixels
- RAM: 8 GB
- ROM:128 GB
- Processor: M2 Chip
- Weight: 1.03 Pounds
The Apple iPad Pro 11-inch is armed with an 8-core CPU in the M2 chip. What does that mean? Well, simply put, it’s incredibly fast and efficient. Tested this bad boy through some serious trials, and it breezed through everything we threw at it with ease.
From demanding multitasking to resource-intensive apps, this tablet never broke a sweat. It’s like having a miniature supercomputer in the palm of your hand.
This beauty takes precision and creativity to a whole new level. Astonishingly accurate, if ever there was something to convince an artist, student, or doodler that handheld devices are viable tools, this is likely the #1 converting gadget going. It’s incredibly responsive and accurate, making your every stroke feel like magic on the screen.
Now combine it with your iPad Pro 11″ – the only pro computer tablet combo on the market today, and you’ve got yourself to become the brains behind most new creative workflows.
It is one of the wifi and cellular tablets that offer Wi-Fi 6E with 5G Cellular connectivity options. With this tablet, you won’t have to worry about buffering or slow downloads.
Graphics enthusiasts, rejoice! The 10-core GPU in it delivers blazing-fast graphics that will leave you in awe. From immersive gaming experiences to stunning visuals in creative apps, this tablet takes your entertainment and productivity to the next level. It’s like having a portable gaming console and a high-end graphics workstation rolled into one sleek package.
iPadOS is another reason why this tablet stands out from the crowd. This app enhances the productivity, versatility, and intuitiveness of your iPad experience. With features like split-screen multitasking, improved file management, and the ability to run desktop-class apps, you’ll find yourself getting things done in a breeze.
- The Liquid Retina display is a feast for the eyes. It’s vibrant, sharp, and incredibly immersive.
- The face ID feature works much quicker than the touchpad on their old iPad.
- It is ideal for photography and photo editing.
- The new placement of the front camera on the left side edge, when using the device in landscape mode, is inconvenient. It makes taking selfies awkward.
2. SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A
- Cellular Connectivity: 4G
- Battery life: 10.5 Hours
- Display Resolution: 1280 x 800
- RAM: 2 GB
- ROM: 32 GB
- Processor: 2 GHz Snapdragon
- Weight: 0.0006 Pounds
The Galaxy Tab A boasts a resolution of 1280 x 800 (WXGA). Trust me, that’s fancy talk for “super sharp and crisp visuals.” Whether you’re binge-watching your fave shows or getting lost in a game, this tablet delivers vibrant colors and stunning detail.
It is equipped with a hefty 5100mAh battery. What does that mean for you? Well, you don’t have to worry about it running out. Seriously, we tested it, and this tablet can easily last you through a full day of heavy usage. No more frantic searches for a charger when you’re out and about!
The Galaxy Tab A comes with 32GB of internal storage. But wait, what about that microSD card slot?
That’s not all—up to 512GB of additional storage can be fitted in there using a microSD card. You can practically store your entire life on this thing!
It features dual speakers that pack a punch. You’ll be blown away by the immersive audio experience, whether you’re listening to music, watching movies, or playing games. No more muffled or tinny sounds—this tablet brings the noise!
With both WiFi and cellular capabilities, you’re always connected, no matter where you are. Whether you’re on a road trip or chilling at a coffee shop, you can stay connected to the world. It’s like having a smartphone and a tablet rolled into one delightful package.
- Due to its less demanding hardware and limited background processes, the tablet offers a commendable battery life, allowing for extended usage without frequent charging.
- The inclusion of a microSD card slot allows for expandable storage, providing users with the option to increase the device’s memory capacity.
- It can handle everyday tasks adequately, such as web browsing, email, and light multimedia consumption.
- The tablet’s Qualcomm Snapdragon 429 chipset and varying RAM options (2GB or 3GB) offer only average performance. It may struggle with resource-intensive tasks, multitasking, and demanding applications or games.
3. Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+
- Cellular Connectivity: 5G
- Battery life: 7.5 Hours
- Display Resolution: 2800 x 1752 Pixels
- RAM: 4 GB
- ROM:128 GB
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon
- Weight: 1.27 Pounds
The star of the show: the 12.4-inch large AMOLED screen. This display is a treat for your eyes, with a stunning resolution of 2800 x 1752 pixels. No matter what you’re watching, playing, or browsing, every detail pops out vividly on this gorgeous display. It’s like having a mini movie theatre right in your hands.
It comes with a memory storage capacity of 128 GB. That’s plenty of room for all your apps, games, photos, and videos. You won’t have to worry about running out of space anytime soon. Plus, if you need more storage, you can always expand it with a microSD card. It’s like having a bottomless pit of storage at your disposal.
But hold on, we’re not done yet. The Tab S8 also boasts blazing-fast Wi-Fi 6E technology. It’s like giving your internet connection a turbo boost! With Wi-Fi 6E, you’ll experience lightning-fast speeds, seamless streaming, and smooth online gaming. Enjoy uninterrupted browsing and downloading without buffering or lag.
S Pen is not just a regular stylus, it’s a magic wand that brings out your creativity. Whether you’re sketching, taking notes, or editing photos, the S Pen is incredibly responsive and precise. It’s like having a digital paintbrush or a virtual pen and paper, all in one device.
And here’s the cherry on top: Microsoft 365 integration. With this seamless integration, you can access and edit your documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on the go.
The Tab S8 and Microsoft 365 combo is a perfect match for students, professionals, or anyone who wants to be productive.
- The tablet supports T-Mobile’s nationwide 5G network, offering fast and reliable internet connectivity.
- A powerful 9,800 mAh battery ensures that users can use the tablet for extended periods without worrying about running out of battery quickly.
- Samsung DeX transforms your tablet into a desktop-like experience. Connect it to a monitor, add a keyboard and mouse, and you have a full-fledged workstation.
- The tablet’s 12.4-inch screen may be too large for some users, making it less portable and harder to handle with one hand.
4. Apple iPad (9th Generation)
- Cellular Connectivity: 4G
- Battery life: 9 Hours
- Display Resolution: 2160 x 1620 Pixels
- RAM: 3 GB
- ROM: 64 GB, 256 GB
- Processor: A13 Bionic chip
- Weight: 1.07 Pounds
The iPad (9th Generation) boasts a gorgeous 10.2-inch Retina display that will make your eyes go, “Wowza!” With a display resolution of 2160×1620 pixels, every image and video comes to life with incredible clarity and vibrant colors.
It offers both fast Wi-Fi and 4G LTE cellular capabilities. When connected to Wi-Fi, you’ll experience seamless browsing, streaming, and downloading. But here’s where it gets interesting: when you’re on the move or away from Wi-Fi, the 4G LTE cellular option kicks in, keeping you connected to the digital realm no matter where you are.
Under the hood, it packs a punch with its powerful A13 Bionic chip. This beast of a processor ensures smooth multitasking, speedy app launches, and seamless navigation. With the A13 Bionic chip, you can edit photos, create stunning graphics, or handle demanding tasks.
But wait, there’s more! The Apple Pencil (1st Generation) adds a whole new dimension to your creative endeavors. The Apple Pencil is a powerful tool for artists and those who appreciate handwritten notes. Jot down your thoughts, sketch out your imagination, or annotate documents effortlessly.
The Smart Keyboard transforms this device into a productivity powerhouse. The iPad’s first keyboard replaces awkward touchscreen typing with a tactile keyboard while maintaining its sleek and portable design.
- A 12-megapixel front-facing camera with a super ultra-wide-angle field of view and Center Stage.
- IPad supports the first-generation Apple Pencil, providing a good drawing and note-taking experience.
- With a battery life of up to 9 hours, the iPad allows for extended use without frequent charging.
- While the iPad gains the True Tone display feature, it lacks the wide P3 color gamut found in more recent iPad models.
5. Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
- Cellular Connectivity: 4G
- Battery life: 10 Hours
- Display Resolution: 2000 x 1200 pixels
- RAM: 3 GB
- ROM: 32 GB
- Processor: Octa-core processor
- Weight: 0.008 Pounds
The Galaxy Tab A7 sports an 8.7-inch TFT screen with a resolution of 800 x 1340 pixels. It’s a WXGA+ display, which means it offers sharp visuals and vibrant colors.
With Face Recognition, all you need to do is glance at your tablet, and voila! It recognizes your face and unlocks it in an instant. It’s like magic, but with technology.
The Mediatek MT8768T Helio P22T processor, coupled with the Octa-core performance and PowerVR GE8320 GPU, ensures smooth multitasking and lag-free gaming. So, whether you’re a productivity enthusiast or a gaming aficionado, the Tab A7 has got your back.
It is equipped with a mighty 5100mAh battery. That means you can surf the web, and get lost in the world of apps without constantly worrying about running out of juice. This tablet will keep up with your on-the-go lifestyle and keep you entertained.
The rear camera of the Tab boasts an 8-megapixel sensor, while the front camera offers a 2-megapixel sensor.
While these might not be mind-blowing numbers, they still capture decent photos for your social media updates and video calls. Just don’t expect professional-level photography from a tablet camera, and you’ll be satisfied with the results.
It supports Bluetooth v5.0, ensuring fast and stable connections with your wireless headphones, speakers, and other devices. Additionally, the Wi-Fi capabilities of 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G + 5GHz ensure that you can enjoy speedy internet browsing and seamless streaming.
- The device can accept a SIM card, essentially transforming it into a functioning cellphone.
- The tablet seems to have a decent battery life, which can be beneficial for travel purposes.
- Although the tablet has limited built-in storage, it supports the use of an SD card. This allows you to expand the storage capacity, providing additional space for apps, media files, and other data.
- The touchscreen isn’t as responsive as a cellphone. This could lead to frustration when interacting with the device and may require more effort or repeated attempts to perform tasks accurately.
6. Apple iPad Air (5th Generation)
- Cellular Connectivity: 5G
- Battery life: 8 Hours
- Display Resolution: 2360 x 1640 Pixels
- RAM: 8 GB
- ROM: 64 GB, 256 GB
- Processor: M1 Chip
- Weight: 1.0 Pound
The iPad Air rocks a stunning 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display. The colors are vibrant, the details are crisp, and it’s just a joy to look at. This display will make everything you watch or edit look incredible, regardless of what you’re watching or editing.
Dip into the powerhouse that’s driving this beast: the M1 chip. It makes the iPad Air lightning-fast and super efficient. No matter if you’re multitasking like a pro or running heavy-duty apps, this tablet can handle it all with ease.
The iPad Air comes with 5G cellular connectivity. Yep, you read that right. With 5G, you’ll experience blazing-fast internet speeds on the go. Streaming high-quality videos, downloading large files, and staying connected with friends and family has never been smoother.
And let’s not forget about the Wi-Fi 6 support. This tablet is equipped with fast Wi-Fi 6, which means you’ll enjoy lightning-fast internet speeds even when you’re connected to Wi-Fi networks. No more buffering or slow-loading web pages. It’s all about speed, baby.
Here are some accessories to consider. The Apple Pencil (2nd generation) is a must-have if you’re into digital art or simply enjoy taking notes on your iPad. It’s incredibly responsive, and the precision is on point.
The Magic Keyboard is a game-changer. It magnetically attaches to the iPad Air, transforming it into a mini laptop. The keys are comfortable to type on, and the trackpad adds a whole new level of navigation. It’s perfect for those who want to get work done on the go without compromising on the typing experience.
- You can unlock your tablet or make purchases with just a fingerprint. It’s convenient and provides peace of mind.
- The Apple Pencil enhances the iPad experience and takes it to the next level.
- The larger screen size is appreciable for gaming and the enhanced understanding it provides.
- Choosing the 64 GB storage option can become restrictive if the user downloads a lot of files or uses numerous apps, especially if the tablet is used for both work and leisure activities.
7. CHUWI Upgraded Android 12 Tablet
- Cellular Connectivity: 4G
- Battery life: 7 Hours
- Display Resolution: 1920 x 1200 Pixels
- RAM: 6 GB
- ROM: 128 GB
- Processor: Unisoc T616 Octa-Core
- Weight: 1.1 Pounds
At the heart of the CHUWI tablet lies the Unisoc T616 octa-core processor, boasting two A75 and six A55 chipsets. This powerhouse configuration ensures a seamless multitasking experience and smooth app performance. With an operating frequency of up to 2.0 GHz, you’ll breeze through tasks, effortlessly switch between apps, and enjoy lag-free gaming.
It offers a whopping 6GB RAM and 128GB ROM. With support for up to 1TB of additional memory, expandability is limitless, ensuring you can carry your entire digital world with you wherever you go.
Get ready to be captivated by the CHUWI tablet’s stunning 1920 x 1200 FHD 10.51-inch screen. No matter what you’re watching, or how you’re browsing the web, the vibrant colors and sharp details will leave you in awe. Dive into a world of visual brilliance and enjoy a truly immersive experience.
Stay connected to the digital world with the 2.4G/5G Dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0 wireless transmission. Experience lightning-fast internet speeds, effortless file sharing, and seamless wireless connectivity.
- Good enough performance for remote connection, video conferencing, browsing, and entertainment videos. The screen is bright and has good color calibration, considering the price point. It comes with a pre-applied screen protector.
- The front-facing camera is sufficient for video conferences and face recognition.
- The included folio keyboard is adequate for quick email, document editing, etc.
- Lack of a touchpad disable option while typing with the folio keyboard, requiring extra care to avoid unintentional cursor movement.
Can I Use My Tablet As a Phone?
Certainly, transforming your tablet into a communication device that works similarly to a phone is indeed achievable. This process is facilitated by making the most out of your internet connection, preferably via Wi-Fi, and leveraging the power of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) or VoLTE (Voice over LTE) wireless communication technologies.
Let’s delve into the specifics of how you can transfigure your tablet into a phone-like device:
1. Firstly, establish a robust internet connection for your tablet, employing either Wi-Fi or cellular data. It’s a vital step, as a stable and strong connection will provide high-quality call experiences.
2. Venture into the vast landscape of applications that grant the ability to place voice and video calls. Numerous options are available such as WhatsApp, Skype, Tango, or Vonage Mobile. Download one of these onto your tablet, ensuring it fits your personal or business communication needs.
3. To enhance audio clarity during your calls, consider using headphones or a speaker. This not only offers a better auditory experience but also grants you the liberty to move around while conversing.
4. Make sure you have a strong internet connection to ensure the call quality is good.
Do bear in mind, however, the transformation of your tablet into a phone-like device requires thoughtful preparation. This may involve getting comfortable with third-party applications for placing calls and sending text messages. Unfortunately, the ability to make or receive GSM calls may be limited, and hence, it’s essential to remain within the vicinity of a Wi-Fi connection for uninterrupted communication.
This activity adds depth to your tablet’s capabilities, expanding it beyond mere browsing or media consumption, and turning it into a versatile communication device.
Can I Use An LTE Tablet Without a SIM Card?
Using an LTE tablet without a SIM card is possible, but it may limit some of the device’s functionality. It’s essential to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages when considering the prospect of operating your tablet without cellular data. Let’s examine these points in more depth and with a neutral perspective:
- On the upside, even without cellular connectivity, your tablet retains the ability to link up with Wi-Fi networks. This feature allows you to engage with a wide array of applications, as long as they don’t demand a cellular signal for functioning. Hence, your web browsing, email-checking, or social media surfing experiences will remain largely unaffected.
- the lack of cellular data does pose some limitations. One significant hurdle is the inability to place conventional phone calls or send text messages directly. To overcome this, you would need to resort to third-party applications that utilize VoIP or VoLTE technologies, which might not offer the same ease of use as traditional methods.
- Moreover, certain types of applications, particularly those demanding continuous and robust internet access, might prove challenging to use. Navigation apps, frequently employed for road directions, or ride-sharing apps, often relied upon for timely transportation, may become inaccessible or inefficient without a cellular connection.
- Hence, while there are feasible workarounds and adaptations for using your tablet without cellular data, it’s worth considering the potential inconveniences you might encounter.
Are Tablets with Cellular Connectivity More Expensive Than Wi-Fi-only Tablets?
Yes, tablets with cellular connectivity are generally more expensive than Wi-Fi-only tablets. The added cost of cellular connectivity varies between $100 and $150 depending on the tablet model. Some of the examples are discussed below but note that prices keep getting change.
For example, the base WiFi-only version of the iPad Air 5 is priced at $599 in the U.S., offering you the essential functions of the device without the added capability of a cellular connection. Alternatively, for those who require consistent, on-the-go internet access, the cellular model of the same device is available at $749.
The choice between these two models hinges significantly on your frequency of cellular data usage. If your needs lean towards frequent internet access, irrespective of Wi-Fi availability, opting for a tablet with built-in cellular connectivity could prove beneficial.
However, it’s crucial to remember the additional cost associated with this choice. Going for a cellular model means you’ll need to factor in the recurring expense of a data plan from a mobile carrier, adding to the device’s overall cost.
On the other hand, if your tablet usage doesn’t necessitate regular cellular data access, a more economical route could be investing in the WiFi-only model. To complement this, you could leverage your smartphone’s hotspot feature, offering your tablet internet access when you’re out and about. This strategy could result in significant savings in the long run, especially if your cellular data needs are sporadic rather than constant.
Can I Use Any Mobile Network Carrier’s SIM Card With a Tablet?
It depends on the tablet and the carrier. In theory, you should be able to use any carrier’s SIM card with a tablet as long as the SIM card is the same size as the tablet’s SIM card slot. You may not be able to use a tablet SIM card in a smartphone or vice versa depending on your carrier.
Additionally, some tablets may only work with certain carriers or require a data-only SIM card. It’s important to check with your carrier and the tablet manufacturer to ensure compatibility before attempting to use a SIM card with a tablet.
Can I Use a Tablet With Cellular Connectivity As a Mobile Hotspot?
Yes, you can use a tablet with cellular connectivity as a mobile hotspot. Follow these steps to set up a mobile hotspot on your tablet:
1. Turn on your tablet’s mobile data connection.
2. Open the Settings app on your tablet.
3. Search for the “Mobile hotspot” or “Tethering” option in the Settings menu.
4. Turn on the mobile hotspot feature.
5. Connect the device you want to use with the hotspot to the tablet’s Wi-Fi network.
6. Enter the password for the mobile hotspot when prompted.
7. Start using the internet on the connected device.
Do tablets with cellular connectivity support eSIM technology?
Tablets with cellular connectivity support eSIM technology. According to the search results, there are several tablets with eSIM capabilities on the market, including those from Apple and Microsoft.
You need a cellular model to use an eSIM on tablets, and most new devices are likely to have an eSIM going forward. Additionally, there are several eSIM-compatible tablets available from carriers such as AT&T.
The list of eSIM-enabled tablets is growing, and it includes devices from Lenovo, HP, and Acer, among others. It’s important to note that the activation possibility of the eSIM feature might differ by country and/or model version of the device.